Become an IBM Certified Solution Advisor – Cloud Computing Architecture

Note: For the past two weeks, we have posted our top 10 posts of 2012. This post is #1, and was originally published on May 25, 2012. Thanks for following our top 10 series!

Here’s your chance to get certified in the latest cloud certification program from IBM. Test “000-281: Foundations of IBM Cloud Computing Architecture V2″ gives you the certification designation of IBM Certified Solution Advisor – Cloud Computing Architecture V2. This certification is one of two cloud-related certifications from IBM. The other, which is ”Test 000-280: IBM Cloud Computing Infrastructure Architect V1,”  leads to the certification designation of  IBM Certified Solution Architect – Cloud Computing Infrastructure V1.

In this blog post, I cover the details of the first certification, (000-281 – Foundations of IBM Cloud Computing Architecture V2).

Certification name: 000-281: Foundations of IBM Cloud Computing Architecture V2

Test Information:

Number of questions: 50

Time allowed in minutes: 90

Required passing score: 68%

Test languages: English

Website:  http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/tests/ovr281.shtml

Designation after completing the certification: IBM Certified Solution Advisor – Cloud Computing Architecture V2

Certification cost: $200 in USA ($100 in India) if you apply through external Prometric vendor. Costs vary by location, so check the Prometric website to get the actual costs for your geography. For IBM employees, Business Partners, and IBM partnered universities and colleges, you might get discounted rates. Be sure to check with your local contacts and local IBM websites for details.

Note for IBM employees: The cost of the exam is fully reimbursable on passing. This is a PRIME certification and should be applied preferably through your local IBM Learning and Knowledge (LnK) center or tool.

How to apply:  Through Prometric, or through your local LnK center at IBM premises (if you are an IBM employee).

Pre-requisites: Although some sort of working knowledge of cloud environment helps, even a basic understanding of cloud principles will do.

How to prepare: The questions are based on the following three broad sections:

• Section 1: Cloud Computing Concepts and Benefits
  • Section 2: Cloud Computing Design Principles
  • Section 3: IBM Software Architecture

You will need to study thoroughly by following the details given in the objectives.

Resources:

• Test preparation: web resources, e-books and white papers
  • Take a free sample test for this certification to test your preparedness
  • Excellent resources to start with if you are completely new to cloud

References:

• IBM certification policy, including information about retaking a test
  • Why get certified? See the values that you as an individual and your organization get by being certified in products and solutions
  • Access your current and previous IBM certification history, request e-certificates, order premium quality paper certificates and much more, all in one place

I believe this information can help you get started for the exam. Of course, I will be happy to answer any further queries.

Comments: 20
Joydipto Banerjee

About Joydipto Banerjee

Joydipto is an IBM Certified Consulting IT Specialist(Master Certified IT Specialist from The Open Group). His areas of interests are application modernization and Cloud computing. Joydipto has published several papers, got certified in Cloud solutions and achieved a number of awards within IBM. He is based in Kolkata, India but currently works out from the Mumbai coast.
This entry was posted in All Posts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Become an IBM Certified Solution Advisor – Cloud Computing Architecture

1. Girish Sai says:

Hi,

Very informative post. I would like to take cert cloud Architect V1. Is it mandatory I have to take cloud advisor V1 first or two cert are designed for career independent paths for our ?

Thanks
    Girish Sai

2. @joydipto says:

Thank you Girish for taking look at this. Both the Cloud certifications are independent and you may opt for any one or both(in any order you like), depending upon your interest.

3. Mukesh says:

How can I do this course If iam nota IBM employ.

Mukesh

4. @joydipto says:

Mukesh, this is actually a certification, not a formal course and anyone can go for it. The certification is open to all (you dont have to be an IBM employee). Also, no formal course is required for the certification. You can manage through self-study and some work experience in the field. Take a look at the 'Reference' section given in the blog for help.

5. Adithya says:

Hi Joydipto,

Thanks for the information.
    I have one question…is reading the "Objectives" (http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/tests/obj281.shtml) alone enough to clear the exam?

Any idea how long it usually takes to prepare for this?(approx)

Thanks,
    Adithya Behara

• @joydipto says:

Hello Adithya – It all depends on your current level of understanding of Cloud topics and concepts. If you are fairly conversant and have some experience, I would say a few weeks should be enough.

The "Objectives" , if you look closely, gives you directions on what to prepare; you might say its the "Syllabus". You will then need to read the topics in more details to get a proper understanding.

6. Adithya says:

Thanks again Joydipto…its good enough information for me to go on..

I am an ex-IBM'er (until 6 months ago) and am kicking myself for not doing these certifications when I was inside :-)

will keep updated with my progress…

Thanks again,
    Adithya

7. Shakti.V says:

Hello Joydipto,
    How is this IBM certification considered in the Job Market ( Apart from IBM ) and clearing this test 00-280 will it be a entry ticket into IBM

8. kul says:

Hi Joydipto,
    Thanks for the informative article.
    I am a J2EE lead developer, and I work on J2EE component based applications. So I am feeling that this certification is little out of context for me for my current job function.
    But I would like to move to this area (Cloud Computing) of technology.
    Do you think that this is the certification to start with or should I be doing any other certification before doing this certification?
    Also I have done a Salseforce certification which is a Cloud computing environment, but other than that I do not have any exposure to Cloud.
    How much time do you thing will I need to prepare for this certification?
    KB

• Joydipto Banerjee says:

I believe it is always better to first get a good grasp of the subject before taking any certification since the latter just aims to "certify" your level of knowledge and experience in that field. Since you state that you are new to Cloud, then my suggestion would be to first learn the concepts, get some basic level of experience and then take up this certification(and yes, this is the the certification to start with). The duration for learning is entirely upto you…but I would say a couple of months would be a rough estimate.

9. Ragini Sharma says:

hey! i have no experience in this field but i am interested in the topic and i do have a basic understanding of the concept.i wanted to know that if i clear this certification,what would be my job prospects?What all would i be required to do on the job?What kind of programming knowledge is required on the job?
    Ragini

10. Guna says:

Hi Joydipto,

I am planning to move to Cloud Stream. I have no exposure to cloud computing. Can you please guide me, I am really confused.

Should I learn just courses that are available or should I learn the basics and then jump into the courses.
    If so please let me know the reference books to study the basics. and i have figured out few courses they are as below, can you suggest me the best course?

VM WARE Cloud Computing Certification
    IBM Cloud Academy for Cloud Computing Certification
    3 Tera Cloud Computing Certification
    Red hat Certified Virtualization Administration-RHCVA
    Microsoft Cloud Computing Certification
    Certified Cloud Professional (CCP)
    Google Apps Certified Deployment Specialist

I am really looking forward to your help. Any assistance will be highly appreciated, since I am in a dead end now.

11. somnath roy says:

Hi Joydipto, This is somnath roy. I go through your site,I have a question have you any inst. is there in pune they are give corporate training for IBM cloude computing with certification and also tell me the fees about that cloude computing.

12. Raghu says:

HI…i was in to banking for more than 8 yrs….but am graduated in IT…save some basic knowledge of IT…will doing cloud computing help me in switching my career??

13. Chandan Troughia says:

hey guys, i am 2013 pass out . It's been 2 months i have been working for an IT Company. I am interested in learning cloud computing. I really wanted to ask, whether doing a cloud certification will help me in my career. And which certification should i prefer and is there any prerequisite for the certification ?

14. Pramod says:

Hi Joy

I am working with Service delivery in RFS project and I would like to start a career in Cloud. I have taken basic cloud understanding course in IBM. However, I would like to know how I can progress my career in Cloud has an Solution advisor and architect

15. Kumar says:

Hi, Thanks for this note.
    What docs or books to get myself prepared for this certification

16. Joydipto Banerjee Joydipto says:

Thank you for showing your interest. This is just a certification that you can take any time, not a training course plus certification. Please have a look at the certification website for more details.

Comments are closed.