On April 13, Microsoft announced the availability of the System Center 2012 product suite. In preparation for the release, we have tested the System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) functionality on the IBM BladeCenter platform with focus on exploring the new private cloud capabilities.
The attached document describes the process of upgrading an existing System Center 2008 environment to SCVMM 2012 and explores the following new features provided by SCVMM 2012:
- Configuring the Fabric (servers, network, storage)
- New library functionalities
- Logical networks
- Managing Storage Management Initiative Specification (SMI-S) based storage with SCVMM
- Configuring Dynamic Optimization and Power Optimization
- New Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) updates capabilities (WSUS)
- Creating a private cloud
- Configuring self-service
- Sharing resources between self-service users
The document guides you through the process of installing Virtual Machine Manager and illustrates the creation of a private cloud using IBM blade systems.